Wednesday, September 14, 2022

The DAY!

 Ironman #12 Wisconsin 2022 Waterlogged report.. 🌨

My goal was not met yesterday however, I’m extremely excited I finished and didn’t give up! “I HATE the COLD, rain and wind!” 

Woke up 3:45 heard the rain, Blane says it’s going to be a long day for you, me YEP, it will be for all of us. I get up , grab a sip of coffee and really, I couldn’t eat anything but my homemade rice crispy treats and licorice. 

We head out to the van, I’m feeling really confident. We go to park in the ramp, Blane goes in the wrong way (which lots of people did) as I was worried about how he’s going to get out “I totally forgot my two important bags (bike, and run special needs bags). Now I didn’t realize this until I was on the bike…… More on that later…. 

As we walk into the Monona Terrace I can feel the excitement and see the nervousness on some Athletes. We go to our meeting place that we’ve been going for years. Sit and wait, talk to the athletes, and family.  Mom Vicki Hansen and Dad Robert Hansen come up along with Amanda. 

We get ready to brave the walk down the helix.  I give hugs kisses and I jump in-line I started at the 1:10 mark we are all get through the line like cattle people are moooooing it was so funny! Rain was coming down like crazy thank gosh I had my wet suit on I couldn’t stop shivering. I touch the water with my feet and think holy crap this isn’t bad it’s warm however, once you start shivering it’s hard to stop, I tried to swim a little faster just to warm up. I kept thinking just keep swimming., just keep swimming. The swim was crazy on the far end as I swam under the red arches I thinking there’s no way their going to keep this a 2.4 swim, but they did… Go around for another loop now I have awesome waves and I can feel myself slowing down (between boyies I was counting my strokes the numbers were getting longer.  I seen lots of people holding on to kayaks, and on the boats. As I came into the finish people were yelling my name (so awesome thank you) then lay down as they stripped off my suit. 


I go running up the helix, right away see my hubby, friends, mom, dad, and Amanda. I get in the changing room I was already so stinking cold, I couldn’t stop shivering grabbed my towel, drank warm water and an awesome volunteer came running over helped me, so you know how hard it is to put on #fastpants and a long sleeve shirt wet lol it’s sucks thankfully she helped me out. 

🚴🏻

I go running out straight to the bathrooms, then off to my lil firefly (bike) I was amazing on how many bikes were gone. So that be some my goal go get them, lol not that I’m competitive or anything🤣. 

Down the helix I go, brrrrrrrr the wind and rain gets to me right away, what the heck, I tell myself keep in control this is just the warm up. The bike was cold, slippery, and unsafe in some places you really needed to pay attention. I felt bad for the volunteers, they were just standing there handing out stuff; I was so appreciative of them and made sure they all knew with a HUGE thank you! I could also tell there wasn’t enough volunteers. 😣

As I come up on my special needs bag I’m yelling (747) get to the spot the bag would be at and noting “oh schnikes” I thought, ran to the  big blue shelter (the potty) got my head together then off I went. 

Second part of the loop was crazy people on the hills screaming at ya as my quads were cramping, I thought just keep going, stand, sit, stand, sit but don’t walk this bike up the hill. 

I have to add -man you’d sweat going up the hill but then freeze going down the hill, there was NO in-between as the cold rain kept coming down. 

As I see mile 110 I’m thinking only 2 miles to go, but knowing I really have 3 miles to go. 

Nothing like a little more mind games. All I kept thinking is I want to get off this bike…..

I ride up the helix to my family/friends Tim Welke takes my bike (thank you Tim/Amanda for Volunteering) Tim says you did amazing. He really pumped my spirits up! I see Bethanne GetMovin game her a hug and off I went into the changing rooms. I couldn’t even touch my fingers together, my feet were numb, my fingers were tingling, and I couldn’t undo my zipper on my jacket the volunteer helped me out again. “Thank GOD!” 

I was ready to go get this last part of the race done; my mind was set! 

Now some of you may know I have some “major” tummy situations -that means pepto, Imodium AD and NO food. 

I make it to mile 5, I knew I was in trouble however,  I just ate a few pepto (like gummy bears) and started speed walking. I couldn’t run that much; or I’d be running to the “big blue box”… Yep when you read those signs that say “don’t trust a fart” there darn right! My tummy went to sloshy gut….. All I kept thinking is just keep walking, you’ve got this, time isn’t anything anymore it’s you finishing. When I started shivering I would “baby jog!” just to warm up (but then again that didn’t last long.)

🏃‍♀️

About three miles into the run

I come up around the corner and see my dad Ray L Howell I wouldn’t believe it, there he was with Kaboo gave him hugs and off I went. As I get to mile 6 or seven I come down the hill I hear “Danni” I see my two beautiful sisters Marie Jones & Cherish Jones are volunteering at the aid station screaming my name, having  a huge party 🤣omg what a joy…. I love you two! I also see Joe, Joe wave to him and off I went. 

On my way, with more pepto, chicken broth, coke and a few chips (I had to get something salty in me). But then multiple stops to the big blue box. OMG it was terrible but also warm in there, yes I know that sounds gross but it’s the truth. 

Then I see my hubby and kids, give them hugs and kisses at one point LiL E walked with me “she kept saying mom your crushing this” I just loved it. 

💛

As I was finishing I thought just run in get this done! Again I see my family waving like crazy (just priceless memories now) . My fingers and toes were numb and tingling. I felt like crap to be totally honest but I kept smiling, there were other athletes still out there. I finished I didn’t care about my time, I just cared about getting with my family… 

Thank goodness the Monona Terrace is open we can go in and get warm. 


I can’t thank my family/friends enough for always being there, I appreciate all of you and love you all!!!

AJ Man thank you for the warm blanket, socks, and hat! You are a true friend I can’t thank you enough!!

Thank you to my hubby Blane Neher for everything, and traveling all over Madison with the lils to see their mommy achieve her goals. I love you babes and I appreciate everything you do for me/us! 💛

Hot, Cold and in between Mom and Dad (Robert Hansen) thank you for being at all my Ironman WI. I love you two and truly appreciate it!

Number 12 was for Karen Howell 😇! 

#medalmonday #ironsunshine☀️ Now to get ready for number 13 of course “accidentally”🤣😉