Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ironman WI September 07, 2008

This Ironman is going to be my 5th and I was going to put in as much as I could because I was doing it for my Great Uncle Todd, he had trained so hard to do this Ironman however, one day in his training rides he hit a deer “yep” you read that right he hit a deer on his bike so he was out no Ironman WI 2008. I didn’t tell him I was going to dedicate this race to him until I went across the finish line this is where he was working with my Aunt Ramona. He was going to find out with a shirt that read Number 5 is for the Great Uncle Todd! http://spandexking.blogspot.com/

Off to my experience.

Went to bed at about 8:30 pm Saturday night, woke up at 3:30 am ate some waffles, yogurt put some goodies ready for Blane and Landen they were going to be watching the event all day long.
We left the house about 5:00 am the roads were crazy already! We found a parking spot thank gosh, as I was grabbing my bags in the trunk of my car I all the sudden got this “oh my gosh your going to finish your 5th Ironman” it looks like it’s going to be a great day! Wait I though to myself it is going to be a great, wonderful fantastic day!. Butterflies started in my tummy I just kept thinking keep it together Sunshine! Just like I tell all my clients stay in control and relaxed.

My Mom and Step dad Bob were waiting there for us; they have been to 3 of my Ironman’s in WI. a long with my Great Uncle Todd and Aunt Ramona they been to the really, really HOT Ionman, The cold/rainy Ironman, and now the perfect weather one. It’s so very awesome to see your family and friends all over the course. Thanks Mom, Bob, G.U.T, Aunt Ramona Arne, Shannon and my wonderful Gramparents Bob and Ruth for taking the time out for me and watching me all day long! You will never know how much I appreciate your support!!

Ok back to it!
I put my bags where they needed to go, then on my way to my bike again for the 4th time everything looked great! Brand new spanking tires never been ridden on “OOPS” I forgot to do that”, tire pressure 118. I found some of my friends gave tons of hugs and good lucks, found Ron he had my wet suit it was time to jump into it meaning my wet suit… Tracie found me when we were walking down the ramp, it was so cool last time we were in Madison we went into the water together and again this year we did the same. We got out to the far end I went up front I love the craziness you can’t think of anything except swim and don’t stop even if you are run over, hit, punched kicked, yada, yada, yada! This time it was craziness the whole 2 miles “man oh man” that was fun you couldn’t stop unless you were ready to get run over!
I looked at my watch and it was 1:11 my fastest swim ever but then it took forever to get out of the water and across the mat, I ran up pointed at this guy and he grabbed a hold of my wet suit and pulled from the top however he didn’t know he had one of my straps to my suit he stopped thank gosh, I got it off the top sat down and my wet suit was off I seconds and my swim suit was still on whooohoo; up the ramp I go I ran all the way gave some friends hi fives and in the changing room I went changed and out I went. Off to the bathroom I didn’t walk in on anyone this time (Last time a man was in one going to the bathroom and he didn’t lock the door and I was in the stall with him) ran to my bike saw Blane “go babe’s go”, again saw Landen he yells “love you mom, go mom go” and my parents yelling “keep it up Danni”. Down the ramp I went that was awesome. Keeping it together and trying not to go off like a rocket and kept it nice and slow my heart rate was still 178-180 so I knew I had to relax or I wouldn’t be going any where fast! My bike ride was awesome the first loop, I seen so many friends and family all over screaming my name or go Sunshine go! When I got to the second loop the winds picked up I was right on with my nutrition however, I started to cramp up really, really bad I was changing positions on my bike so I would use different parts of my quads and at one point I had to keep moving because if I didn’t they could cramp. I was climbing one hill and my chain fell off holly crud it was amazing how that felt to get off your bike and back on it. I kept a positive mind and didn’t let anything get to me even when I was going 11 to 12 mph because of the winds. POSITIVE THINKING! Back to the helix I road as hard as I could up it people were screaming it was awesome I was off my bike.

On to the run! OUCH- my foot hurt so bad I have a stress fracture in it and I knew it was only going to get worse, I started running my first mile was 9:48 but then I had to bring it to run two min walk two, that wasn’t working I had to run one and walk one, this went on forever it felt, then all the sudden I seen some of my clients and friends running the race they were doing awesome! I kept a steady pace! As I tell everyone “keep the pace and you will stay in the race”. When I was coming up to the 13 mile there was my Aunt Ramona telling me you look great keep it up, then I came around the corner there was Landen, Blane, my mom and dad and more friends and family it was awesome! I grabbed my get my special needs bag and I was off again. I went Blane met be about 100 yards down he hands me the biggest Cheeseburger ever, yep you got it a Cheeseburger so here I am running and eating a Cheeseburger people couldn’t believe it, “ Is that a Cheeseburger your eating” they asked my response was yes it is and it is so very, very good. As most of you know I don’t eat Cheeseburgers ever!

Still dealing with the pain in my foot and my Achilles tendons - but I kept thinking it’s nothing like the pain my uncle went through. I started picking it up at mile 19 Blane was there to give me hug and a kiss “baby you are looking great, now kick some butt” I’ll see you at the finish line, so I picked it up again still at mile 19 I had to keep in control and not push it to hard; I wanted to get as close to 13:00 hour as I could, as I was coming around to the finish I could hear Mike say “if you want to break that 13:00:00 you better pick it up” I just couldn’t I had to keep in control, I looked a head there was Landen waiting for me he looked like he was ready to sprint again to the finish so I waved at him he came running out grabbed my hand and he sprinted and I mean sprinted in with me, we made it right at 13:00 hours man that was an awesome experience again!!!!! I grabbed the shirt I had around my waist for the race put it on and again it said number 5 is four the Great Uncle Todd, his look on his face was priceless I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way! It was AWESOME!

Thanks to all my friends and family especially to those who have been there for me for all my events it’s a long day for us but even a longer day for my family and friends!

Sure Love all of you “Sunshine’s”!