Friday, October 20, 2023

It wasn't about the time; it was all about the finish line!

 






Warning -in the plane writing, I’ll need to add and take out a few things, I’m sure.
My Kona Race recap - It wasn't about the time; it was all about the finish line!
With the time change there isn’t a lost sleep, you’re awake at 1:30 am. I grabbed a bagel with peanut butter drank some coffee sat and watched tv for a little while. I called my mom, my kids, my siblings and out the door we went. As we were walking down a car pulls up next to us and says you want a ride? Me nope we can walk… Take it all in, take it all in. We get down there it was so amazing, the sights the sounds were spectacular. I went to my bike right away; a volunteer came with me pumped my tires to 95psi checked through everything and off to the water.
Waited in line with the 50-54 year olds, talked to Blane while waiting I tell you 90 min. goes by fast.
We walked down into the water, you swam to the second Buoy, started waving to my family on the peer and just treaded water wowza that was an experience in itself. As the drums started playing, they stopped and boom there we go… The swim felt like a mass start like Wisconsin Ironman, you could feel the waves coming up and over, the salt water was so yuckie however, the underwater photographers were incredible the sights of seeing them and all of the fish, jellyfish and the ground moving was incredible. Instead of counting each buoy’s I would say this part of the swim is for this person that made time go by so fast, well until we were coming in then that was forever it felt like the ocean wanted you to stay out swimming.
I came out a volunteer grabbed my arm, unzipped my Roka Skinsuit and I was on my way into transition.
Transition 1 - crazy! Found my bag and ran it in there, changed, put on sunscreen and ran out.. it was CRAZY in there.
Ran out of the tent seen Sue and Ramona that was awesome! Then Off to the bike,
I was feeling great, excited, and ready for a fun training day on the bike in the heat… Really, I wanted to get to the lava fields and ride those hills. I have to say thankfully we drove the course then I could see how hilly it was and make mental check points.
I have to say the heat coming off the ground was crazy, and the winds you never knew when they’re going to blow (I seen so many women go into the other lane because of the wind) and of course the sun with NO cloud coverage!
By mile 65 both of my quads had cramps that circled around my quads/hamstrings (I have never had that). I couldn’t believe it, I just kept peddling with light resistance on, and hydrate, hydrate hydrate.
The later in the day it became more and more humid, the sun shined brighter, and the winds picked up at one point I was going 10-12 mph going nowhere. All I kept thinking was relax and stay in aero.
At every aid station I picked up a water or two, and a 1/2 banana. The volunteers were amazing. If I was hot on the bike, I’m sure they were hot helping us out I defiantly made sure they knew how appreciative I was of them. In my special needs bag, I had my nutrition I was using and treats of course no peeps. 🤪 but gummy bears.
On the way back in I seen so many goats, took in all the views of the ocean, the lava rocks there really wasn’t a lot of greens out there. As I approached the airport, I could see the pros out running that was awesome!
As I came in from my bike, my legs were like Jello!
Coming in hot on my bike I truly couldn’t wait to get off it LOL! Dismounted and ran my bike to its home for the day.
Ran into the changing tent (no change of clothes) put different socks on mine were my drenched put my shoes on, running belt, and a hat.
I was off…
The run I knew it would be a run/walk I’ve had lots of GI situations (however that wasn’t going to hold me back) I started running first seen Sue she was volunteering at mile, then ran to mile 2 there was Blane the seen Todd Dale, Ramona, Jaydee and the lils it was so priceless!!
I walked about 90%of the marathon, I had shopping shoes on so I have a fast walk 😂. I played lots of mind games out there walk 100steps then 100 baby jog steps. It was hot, hot, hot when I finally got down to the energy lap there was NO air movement, it was long on tv it looks short but it’s not…. It’s incredibly dark out on the Queen K.
In the energy lap, it was really cool to see all the head laps on athletes. I picked up my special need's bags at mile 15, I couldn’t eat anything from it I just didn’t have the stomach to. I started drinking Coca Cola at each station and a few chips.
As I was going off the Queen K I thought OMGoodness my dream race is almost over. I came running around the last corner, down the finishers shoot, where people were cheering, yelling and having a HUGE party! I come up to the top and it’s mine I had to do a plank-star! The lights were so bright as I came up, I see my husband down at the bottom of the finish line with a huge smile, I ran to him he put my Incredible beads on, we walked over to Ramona Snodgrass Dale and Suzanne Incaprero gave hugs and Blane put my HUGE medal on it was sooooooooo priceless!
I still have tears in my eyes-this has been a dream come true and an incredible journey and I’ve been so grateful for the chance to achieve this. I can’t thank you all for your encouragement; your cheers; and kindness-it’s meant so much to me.
My body aches, my feet and ankles are huge, but I will forever be so grateful for this opportunity!

Now to find Mr. Berge and thank him!

Danniela Neher,
2023 IRONMAN World Champion Athlete