Saturday, July 09, 2022

My flash back!!

 





Madison WI. 2019 race report (ruff draft!) 

4:11 AM Wakie Wakie Sunshine’s it’s race day! Off to the race at 5:09 we dropped off our bags, went to our bikes everything looked good until I felt my tire was flat (Fuuuuuuuudge) I took a chance pumped it back up to 100 (praying it wouldn’t deflate again)..we went back by our bags dropped off nutrition, watches yada, yada seen Amanda said Hi to her let her know where we were meeting, seen my Step Dad let him know where we were then seen my mom and Victoria. Then seen Tim and Amy we all headed down together as they went on their way to line up for the swim I went mine. As I was standing there I started hearing athletes say there’s a fence how are we going to get in line? “It was a disaster”, so I jumped the fence and yada, yada in line I was. I handed off my extra pair off goggles to a volunteer thanked him for his time today and 1.2.3 go. Jumped in and thought shinikie it is cold; then ok let’s go, I stuck with my mental game! The waves reminded me of Escape from Alcatraz, it just wasn’t as cold. Athletes swimming over each other which didn’t bother me but I swear there’s always a stinker that has to grab, grab, run you over or yada, yada so this time this “sweetheart” grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back “man what was he thinking he was going to fly 100 yards ahead of us?” I put my head up and said “seriously” he looked at me and said “sorry!” 

Off I went, I felt I couldn’t go to fast at all, the waves and me taking in some extra hydrating (swallowing the water) and I still not being able to kick ugh! My new mantra  became -left, right don’t kick, left, right, do NOT kick..... Because when I did it would turn into “oh balls” I instantly remembered I have two stinking fractures in my ankle and foot let those legs just float!!! I kept telling myself, stay in control, as the waves were even crazier on the back end of the swim, just keep those arms moving, keep moving, keep moving, go, go, go! 

 As I swim in as far as I could a volunteer grabbed my hand and helped me up. Off to have people “SHUCK” your wetsuit off ya “yep you read that right “SHUCK” like a pc of corn... laid down and Wala “wetsuit off” they handed it to me said have a great race and off to my first “run” the helix, I seen so many people I knew I really want to thank all of you for telling our my name or hearing “GO SUNSHINE Go!”

In the changing room 1- yep I’ll tell ya how it is take the swim suit off and a volunteer helps your get dressed as your in nakedness “yes nakedness” and drying off with a towel, you ever try and get dressed wet??? Yikes!  

Thankfully dressed ready to rock and roll with my weapon or better known as “red lighting” I gave the volunteer a hug and gave her a coffee gift card and off I went to the the awesome Porta potty and this time I didn’t open the door on a guy!! Pee, wipe, wash GOoooooo, grabbed my bike and off I went. 

Bike - As some of you know I did get a new bike about 2 weeks prior to my race and “man oh man I LOVE IT,” so I really couldn’t wait to ride it 112 miles. I didn’t even think of my tire. Down the helix I go as we all stayed single file on the sidewalk down into the alignment center than after that it was game on.. zoom, zoom baby! 

As I got to mile 20 my stinking headache started back in (I’ve had a migraine for the past few days), I started sweating more, drinking water, Powerade and thinking grab my Dayquill and/or IBP in my bag as I did I couldn’t get it out of the container so I just kept riding drinking yada, yada. About mile 50 ok I had to try again well this time I dropped the bottle “it’s gone” ok I’m thinking get to mile 57 where our bags are I’ll stop there because I know I have some in my bag. Well I get there and none I put it in my 13.1 run bag ugh!!! So I waited in line for the bathrooms talked with some amazing athletes ate some gummy bears and off I went! I was so excited to see my lil’s out there with my hubby and my father in law!! A quick wave and blowing them kisses on the first loop.. 

The ride was so fun yes there was awesome winds, gravel 😜 and me riding like Lance Armstrong in the grass and thankfully saving it... Which I really can’t believe I did, but I did knew was going to do it before it happened, I was going down hill a little to fast for the corner and didn’t make it all the way around, as I got back in the road a guy said to me “I’ve never seen some one do that great bike handling skills.” ....Lol I was thinking 💩thank god I made it and no flat tire lol!! 

A little “ok a lot” of cramping on the bike but just kept my legs moving push down, pull up I was saying to myself over and over... I did have #Base salt on the bike I took in that trying to get the cramps to go away.. I kept my mind off it by Thinking a lot about my family, Sully and his family. 

I have to say the marshals were incredible out there, yes they were watching for everything, and I seen 2 athletes get yellow cards which they rightfully deserved as their 3 people train came flying by us.... 

Second loop I had to sloooooow way down give my lil’s high fives and let them know I love them. I at the last min. See my mom and stepdad out there with my niece Victoria they all smiled and said Go Danni Go! 

A little more salt and ride, ride, ride ... I have to say I never had that feeling of man I want to get off this bike.. 

As I came in I road up the helix like it was mine zoom zoom baby! 

I came up volunteer grabbed it gave Frances a huge hug waved at people as the called my name and into the room I went. 

Changing room 2- again grabbed my bag ran into the room, volunteer poorer out my goodies -decided to keep my #fastpants on but my belt on, different watch on, visor on, tried to put my brace on it didn’t fit in my shoe soooooo sock on, shoes on, brace in my running pack. Gave my volunteer a coffee gift card and a hug with a thank you and off to the best part of the day day-The Run well mine a baby jog, run walk get the heck through it.... 

I really felt great the first few miles, well until mile 5/6 then the ankle became a little bit more of a nuisance “oh shinkies” walk fast/baby job on and off talked with lots of people out there said thank you to volunteer yada yada. As I came up on the little point of the run I see my family my lil’s gave me a hug and kiss they ran with me until the loop around and ran back in by dad gave high fives and off I went. 

As I came up on mile 13 I see my sister Woot, Woot, I’m thinking just catch up to her and we can walk baby jog together however, I couldn’t catch her (her pace was fast) and my ankle was of fire! As I kept on off on off of running I finally catch up to her at mile 20 or so gave her a hug and said “HI Beautiful!” Let’s do this we power walked together for 6 miles the time was “priceless” yes I know it’s a race but races are all over, time with my sister during an Ironman is priceless we walked, laughed, talked about Sully and his family,  the swim, the bike and yada, yada.. 

As we came in where I would be finishing and she would kick butt doing the second half of her run, I have her a hug and said I love you and I’ll see you in just a little bit and off we went our separate ways. The crowed was crazy loud, I hear #thevoiceofironman Mike say "Dannïela Neher You Are An Ironman" as I came running down the finishers shoot then I took a quick look back to make sure no one was behind me before I would do my plankstar- (I don’t ever want to steel from anything’s finish line photo by me doing that.) However, as I did that (look back) I seen my two other sisters Mariea and Cherish yelling at me I thought omg I can’t be that dehydrated did I see them, I was so shocked and full of joy! 

I knew I was safe and I could do my plankstar and in that moment I thought thank you god and “this one was for you Cute Little Sully! 

I jumped up and ran in, well then the world started spinning Francis Schmitz and John Chapman both grabbed me, I knew I was in a little bit of trouble, I let them know I was going to puke or pass out so off to the med tent I went and yep it went down hill from there.... (Frances and John thank you so much!) 

Soon feeling better and  I was released I went to my family and my littles were able to put my medal on me I was so excited!!!! 

I can’t tell you how blessed I am to be able to do this! I love that I can do this for myself but then also for others or to make awareness for things. 

I love my life, and everything I’m blessed to have in it! 

I can’t thank my husband Blane Neher enough for making my day so special, seeing my lil’s on the course is priceless to me but I know long and difficult for him and then to stay to the finish is a looooooong day for him and for them. I love you babes more then you’ll ever know “thank you!” 

Vicki Hansen,  Robert Hansen, Victoria, Mariea Jones Cherish Jones , I love all of you more then you’ll ever know I thank you for being out there and making our day so special and thank you all for your support! 


Thank you to everyone for all the calls, and messages! I’m so blessed and will never take that for granted! 💫💗


Thank you to “my bike man” Mark Brone for getting my bike ready so fast, nothing like getting a new bike in less then two weeks before the race and having it set up and ready to kill it! I so appreciate it! #bestbikeman  


I also want to thank Karley Marotta for doing the story on us for Sully I hope we’ve made an positive impact on that “Cute Little boys life!” ((Hugs)) to Jason and Emily!! 


I have to say as much as I wanted the 11th hour for this Ironman, I came in the 11th in my age group, the number 11 is defiantly a positive number in everything! 


Number 11 is done and in the books baby! 

Now for number 12 (Ironman Legacy)! 

 

Remember-  You can achieve anything you put your mind to and always do things for others, your heart will grow!” 

Dannïela 

☀️#ironsunshine